10 Real Truths About Manufactured Foods For Cats And Dogs

10 Real Truths About Manufactured Foods For Cats And Dogs

Who doesn’t love the convenience of manufactured food for cats and dogs? Just scoop out some kibbles or open a can, and voila! Pet food is taken care of! We bet that most of you out there who have pets are fans of manufactured pet foods and we surely cannot fault you for that, especially with how it is advertised and who endorses it.

Every year, millions of dollars are being spent on advertising and marketing campaigns by pet food companies which are then happily gulped down by pet parents, merrily thinking that manufactured pet foods are the best for their beloved furbabies. Does that sound familiar to you?

Have We Become Too Lazy to Care?

Manufactured pet food has revolutionized the way we take care of pets. These days, we no longer to have to save some food from the family meal to feed the pet. Who needs to do that when you can simply open a can of tempting chicken dinner oozing with appetizing gravy? Who has the time to make some cat nibbles when there are plenty of cat treats which you can just buy everywhere? After all, the commercials and vets says that manufactured pet food is the best food for your pet…or is it?

If manufactured pet food is as safe as the commercials and ads claim it is, then why is it that we hear of at least 1 pet food recall per year? Mind you that that number is just from the most well regulated pet food companies who have the decency to order a recall of their products (or else they risk getting shut down). Can you imagine how things are for smaller pet food companies which may not have the strict protocols and safety measures that the big players have?

There’s just so many issues surrounding the truths about manufactured foods for cats and dogs that we felt it is best to simply share with you some pet food truths together with some links from which you can read more information for your own use.

We trust you, fellow pet parents to take a reasonable view-point and weigh the pros and cons of continuing to feed your pet manufactured pet food after reading the 10 Real Truths About Manufactured Food For Cats and Dogs which we’ve compiled below:


1. Manufactured Pet Food is Fast Food for Pets

Processed food is simply not the same as real unprocessed food. We’ve seen the effect in humans, are we going to pretend the same isn’t true for our pets? Have you seen the rates of increased incidences of pet food allergies, diabetes, kidney disease and other pet diseases lately? There’s a reason for that and we seriously doubt it’s the air they breathe or the water they drink.

2. The Hundreds of Brands of Pet Food Are Owned By Just a Few Companies

Shocked? It’s called monopolizing the market. Some pet foods which are under the same company are basically the same, with the lower end brand being sold at a bargain and the higher end brand being sold for an arm and a leg. The parent company would then launch marketing campaigns against the ‘other’ brand to heighten up the competition but the truth is, no matter what you purchase, their company will still be making some profit and winning. This is a competition where your pets will never win. Lucky for your pets, you got the power to change that; so will you?

3. Manufactured Pet Food Is Loaded With Sugar

If you’re seeing a lot of ingredients which ends in –ose in your pet food’s label, there is a big chance that those are forms of sugar. It is not just that, but grains and carbohydrates are also sugar sources (a bit of protein too but really, it is mostly sugar!). Worse, the pet food can be full of GMO corn and that is still considered legally okay based on present day standards. Are you truly okay with that?

4. Plenty of Pet Food Manufacturers Simply Use Waste Products As Ingredients

We’ll be talking about this again later in this article because it really is the truth. Sure, not all waste products are truly waste materials only, after all, whey is a waste product of making cheeses and that’s still a good source of protein.

The issue here is when you are told the companies are using only the finest quality ingredients and they turn up to be ‘waste’ which isn’t fit for human consumption or worse, some unknown additives as discussed below.

5. Manufactured Pet Foods Are Full of Non-Regulated Additives

In Europe, a study was conducted to see what’s in 17 brands of popular wet food for cats and dogs. 14 of the 17 brands showed that they contain chicken and pork DNA although neither was listed in the ingredients.

Hmmn, could this be what animal derivatives are? Just various unknown animal parts thrown in your pet’s food mix?

6. A Lot of Manufactured Foods for Cats and Dogs Have Unclear Labeling and Information

Do you know what animal derivatives are? How about plant derivatives? Animal derivatives can be any animal parts, including hooves, hair, and so on. It is true that animals in the wild also eat these parts from the other animals they hunt but then, they get a choice of the best cuts before going for the examples above. Plant derivatives on the other hand often include the waste products from manufacturing people food.

This is not to say that the above are all cheap and bad ‘fillers’ but then, why pay premium price for a cup of ‘all-natural beef dinner’ (dinner here is a marketing term) for your dog when you can simply get some real meat for the same price, maybe cheaper?

7. Manufactured Pet Foods Are Chock-Full of Fillers Like Cereals

The next time you’re shopping for pet food, locate the ingredients list and see the first 3 or first 5 ingredients. You’d be surprised that you’ll find cereal (or grains) to be amongst the first ingredients in most brands.

In case you are not aware, the ingredients information is often written in the order of percentage of ingredients in the actual product, from the highest concentration going to the lowest concentration. This means that your cat or dog’s ‘beef’ dinner may actually be full of oats or corn and only have the barest minimum amount of beef.

8. Plenty of Vets Who Recommend Certain Brands of Manufactured Pet Foods Receive A Huge Commission on Sales

We really don’t want to get much into this truth, but if your vet has been pushing you to try some new pet food or to only use certain brands, the same brands which just happens to be available at that vet’s clinic, or if your vet has a million posters of that brand, then chances are your vet is playing sales guy! All at the possible health expense of your furbaby.

9. Manufactured Foods for Cats and Dogs Often Have Misleading Names

Wouldn’t you just love to feed your pet a chicken meal or perhaps some nuggets which says it was made with real chicken? Here’s a closer look at what those pet food labels actually mean:

  • Chicken flavor May contain no chicken whatsoever and yes, that’s legally okay.
  • With chicken (or made with real chicken) – contains no less than 3% chicken by weight is the legal requirement. Do you really want to know what the other 97% comprising the pet food formula is?
  • Chicken dinner/chicken meal/chicken nuggets contains no less than 25% chicken by weight. So what is the other 75%?
  • Chicken and rice meal/chicken and rice dinner contains no less than 25% combined chicken and rice by weight. The other 75% could be anything as long as it is ‘legal’.
  • Chicken and rice pet food contains no less than 70% chicken and rice (so chicken can be as little as a measly 10%) if water is included in the calculation. This labeling is very deceptive.
  • Chicken pet food contains no less than 70% chicken if water is included in the calculation. This is the highest concentration of meat your pet will get, so why not just boil some real chicken breast?

*note that the underlined words are your clues regarding just how much of the good stuff your pet actually gets. Remember, it doesn’t hurt to know how to truly read your pet food labels!

10. Claims About Manufactured Pet Food Being The Best Food Is Grossly Exaggerated

10 Real Truths About Manufactured Foods For Cats And DogsYou’ve seen the truth about how pet foods are labeled above, would you really be surprised that the words ‘best’, ‘optimal’, and ‘all natural’ are misused terms as well?

Whew! With all the shocking truths about pet foods above it is no wonder that a lot of our best-selling homeopathic remedies are for pet allergies and pet digestion.

We don’t mean to scare you by writing this article on the truth about your pet’s food. We believe in the power of making informed choices. We at HomeoAnimal, believes that the more knowledgeable we become as pet parents, the more we can safeguard the health and well-being of our beloved animal friends so that we can help our pets live longer and better lives.

Though it is true (in our opinion) that most manufactured pet foods should not be fed to your animal babies, we also understand why plenty of pet parents are opting for that. We know that the first reason is convenience and the second one is being unfortunately misinformed. These reasons are why we wrote this article and why we’re currently working on an ebook about easy and better natural food options for your pet (does a book on Raw Food and Dry Food sound great?). Excited for that? So are we!

Stay tuned for our next articles by signing up for our newsletter and connecting with the HomeoAnimal Team on Facebook. Do you have anything to share about manufactured pet foods? Do get the conversation rolling below!



Older Post Newer Post


Created on Posted by Walderez Vianna douglass Comment Link

I cook ground meat, a whole chicken, lentils, quinoa, dry peas, pinto beans, sometimes pumpkin, sweet potatoes and add vegetables like green. Beans, spinach, okra. They like chicken hearts, sometimes chicken liver.I boiled a whole chicken take the fat out and they drink the water (soup).Everything no seasoning, or garlic sometimes . After 1 year doing this the blood exam was normal, kidneys, liver everything normal.

Created on Posted by linda Comment Link

So, what are we to feed our cats and dogs if not commercial garbage, or ‘raw’ store bought diets. There are ‘diets’/recipes all over the web, however the information may not always be accurate. How great if we, the pet-loving public, had access to a really good food line, made by a trusted company such as yours.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published


Interested in our Newsletter?

Stay in the know with news and promotions.